Having your teeth professionally cleaned to remove the build-up of plaque from your tooth’s surface and below your gum-line will help prevent gum disease and bad breath, a common symptom of poor oral care. In addition following these simple Oral Hygiene Tips will also help too.
Oral Hygiene Tips
The team from Sunshine Coast Smile Centre is committed to the long-term health of all our patients, young and old. Which is why we suggest you follow these Oral Hygiene Tips every day.
To maintain optimal oral health and to keep your smile looking it’s best you should brush your teeth at least twice daily with a small head soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste, and floss once a day to remove any food caught between your teeth not able to be removed through brushing.
- Place the head of your toothbrush beside your teeth, with the brush tips at a 45° angle against your gum. Move the brush back and forth in short, semi-circle strokes several times.
- Brush the outer surfaces of each tooth, top and bottom, keeping the bristles angled against your gum. Use the same method on the inside surfaces of all the teeth, still using short back and forth strokes.
- It is important to brush the chewing surfaces of the teeth, as they will be constantly in contact with everything you put in to your mouth. You must also clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth by tilting the brush vertically and make several gentle up and down strokes with the front part of the brush.
- You should not forget your tongue, brushing it will help freshen your breath and clean your mouth by removing bacteria.
“We suggest you follow these Oral Hygiene Tips every day”
- Wind 20cm of floss around the middle fingers of each hand. Hold each end of the floss between your thumbs and index fingers, leaving about 2cm to 3cm of length in between. You should use your thumbs to direct the floss between your upper teeth.
- Keeping the 2cm to 3cm length of floss nice and firm between fingers, use your index fingers to direct the floss between the lower teeth.
- Gently guide the floss between the teeth by using a zigzag motion. It is important to remember not snap the floss between your teeth but using a smooth and flowing motion around each side of the tooth.
- Slide the floss up and down against your tooth surface and under the gum. This may feel awkward but it is important to get underneath the tooth to clean those areas.
Call us today to make an appointment with one of our in-house Hygienists Ph : 07 5443 2800
Images courtesy of Crest Oral-B