At Sunshine Coast Smile Centre we pride ourselves on building a culture of strong and healthy teeth. We do this not only by offering our patients Quality Dental Treatments but also by encouraging our patients to following these dental tips:
20 GREAT DENTAL TIPS
1. Brush your teeth at least twice a day using an electric or soft bristled toothbrush. Brushing should take 2-3 minutes.
2. Flossing daily will clean surfaces of your teeth that your toothbrush can’t reach. This will help prevent gum disease and cavities.
3. Invest in regular 6 monthly exam and cleaning appointments. This is the best way to keep your teeth and gums healthy for life.
4. Drink at least 2 litres of water a day. This will keep your body hydrated and can help prevent a dry mouth.
5. Chew sugar free gum on a regular basis. Chewing gum increases the production of saliva and neutralises acid.
6. Don’t Smoke. Smoking has been proven to be a leading cause of mouth cancer and can increase the risk of gum disease.
7. Minimise your consumption of not only soft, sweet or sticky foods but also foods containing a high amount of sugars or carbohydrates. It is not easy to remove these foods from your diet but by cutting down and avoiding snacking in between meals you can give your teeth a better chance of staying healthy.
8. Avoid fizzy drinks (including diet varieties) as well as cordial, fruit juice and sports drinks. These acidic drinks can dissolve minerals in your teeth’s enamel which can lead to cavities. When drinking them use a straw and always rinse your mouth with water straight after.
9. Change your toothbrush every 3 months or if you have been sick. Bacteria from your mouth transfers to your toothbrush which can contribute to you getting ill again.
10. If you are travelling for an extended period of time schedule a dental appointment prior to leaving. The last thing you will want is to have to have to schedule an appointment with a dentist when you should be enjoying your holiday.
11. Brush with a fluoridated toothpaste. Fluoride helps fight tooth decay and helps strengthen enamel.
12. Always wear a custom fitted mouthguard for any contact or ball sports like AFL, rugby, hockey or boxing. This will significantly reduce your chances of a dental injury.
13. If you have knocked out a tooth rinse it in milk and place it back in it’s socket or place it in a small glass of milk and contact Sunshine Coast Smile Centre immediately.
14. Avoid using your teeth for anything other than eating. Using them to cut fishing line, opening packaging or removing bottle tops can result in a chipped or broken tooth.
15. If you grind or clench your teeth invest in a custom made night splint. This will prevent you from grinding away your teeth or breaking a tooth.
16. If you have pain or have a broken a tooth contact Sunshine Coast Smile Centre immediately.
17. Start brushing your child’s teeth as soon as the first tooth appears using either a clean damp cloth or a small soft toothbrush. When your child starts brushing their teeth it is important to supervise.
18. Introduce your child to the dentist at an early age. This will get them use to visiting the dentist and can help prevent decay or a sore tooth.
19. If you are wanting whiter teeth always use a dentist prescribed whitening treatment. This is the safest and most effective method.
20. It’s never too late to straighten or correct your bite using orthodontic treatment, this can improve the function and health of your teeth as well as boosting self-esteem.
Want More Dental Tips and Advice?
If you are worried about your oral health and need further dental tips or advice please call Jess on 07 5443 2800.